Mark specialises in advising on major infrastructure, construction, joint venture and M&A disputes, commercial contracts, telecommunications, trade practices and torts (including defamation).
Mark has been named as one of Australia's leading commercial litigation lawyers in Euromoney's Guide to the World's Leading Litigation Lawyers and as one of Australia’s leading experts in commercial arbitration in Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Experts in Commercial Arbitration. He is also named as a Recommended Individual in the Global Counsel 3000 guide to global legal practice.
The predominant jurisdictions in which he practises are the Supreme Court and the Federal Court. Mark has extensive experience with the resolution of disputes outside the court system.
Mark has over 20 years experience in handling strategic dispute resolution work across a wide range of blue chip corporate clients and financial institutions. In recent years, Mark’s practice has been focused on construction, project, energy and infrastructure related disputes.
Mark has a number of significant construction related dispute matters which he is handling for contractors. A range of dispute resolution avenues are being employed to handle these disputes including arbitration, mediation and expert determination.
Mark has recently completed a major dispute for a major gas supplier/distributor in relation to the terms of its power purchase agreement with Enertrade. He has several current matters which involve disputes over the operation of complex mining machinery which has required extensive work with structural engineers, economists and forensic accountants.
Mark’s experience in major infrastructure disputes includes past work in relation to the Airtrain project, a matter regarding the Mt Stuart power station and matters relating to coal mining in the Bowen Basin. Mark has also acted recently in major contractual disputes concerning energy supply, construction projects and major equipment failure.
Mark has handled major strategic commercial litigation for clients which include:
· BHP Billiton
· Macquarie Bank
· Orica Australia Ltd/Incitec Ltd
· Virgin Group
· Origin Energy Ltd
· Brisbane City Council
· 1982: Arts and Law degrees (both with Hons), University of Melbourne
· 1983: Articled Clerk, Melbourne commercial law firm
· 1984: Sir Robert Menzies Memorial Scholarship for Law, which involved completing Masters degree in Civil Law at Oxford University (B.C.L. at Wadham College completed in 1986)
· 1987: Solicitor, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Commercial Disputes Group, Melbourne
· 1991 - 1997: Partner, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Melbourne
· 1998 - 2003: Partner in Charge, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Brisbane
· 2003: National Practice Team Leader, Dispute Resolution clients
· 2003 - 2004: National Managing Partner (Performance & Quality)
Mark has achieved Specialist Accreditation in Mediation from the LIV, is an accredited mediator on the LEADR Advanced Panel and has Queensland Law Society accreditation as a mediator. He has acted as a mediator in numerous commercial disputes.