Today (1 November 2013) marks the launch of the combination between King & Wood Mallesons and SJ Berwin, the first global law firm headquartered in Asia.
Clients now have access to more than 2,700 lawyers, in 30 locations across the world, providing top quality legal advice, genuine capability and real cultural understanding in each of the markets it operates. The network is unrivalled in its ability to connect clients with opportunities in and out of the key Asian growth markets.
Wang Junfeng, Global Chairman of King & Wood Mallesons, said: “This is a historic day as King & Wood Mallesons and SJ Berwin combine and we continue to implement our strategy to build a top tier global law firm that has strength, depth and genuine capability in each of the markets in which it is present.”
Global Managing Partner, Stuart Fuller, said: “Our clients are interested in the unparalleled ability of our global offering to connect clients and opportunities in and out of Asia and to support them in achieving their ambitions.
Since announcing the combination on 31 July we have seen a significant increase in the number of our clients exploring the potential opportunities of the Asia market, with the firm already working on numerous joint matters and having completed a number of them. This is “proof of concept” which we want to deliver to clients and be known for.”
Co-Deputy Chairman, Stephen Kon, said: “In an increasingly crowded market, our powerful Asia Pacific base is our key difference and means that we are best placed to meet the current and future needs of our clients. King & Wood Mallesons will operate seamlessly across Asia, Europe and the Middle East offering our clients unparalleled law capability of the highest standard at the speed of global business.”
Co-Deputy Chairman, Stephen Minns added: “Together with SJ Berwin we are creating a bold new choice of law firm, the global law firm for the future. Our advantage in being a unique challenger brand is that we do not conform to blueprint service models but instead think of our clients’ commercial needs and the opportunities for our people at every step”.
The King & Wood Mallesons network is now one of the top 25 law firms in the world, with circa $1 billion revenue.
1. Photos of the combined King & Wood Mallesons management team can be accessed here.
2. SJ Berwin LLP became a member of the King & Wood Mallesons network, which operates under a Swiss Verein structure, on 1 November 2013. The firm’s name is King & Wood Mallesons but will use a transitional brand of King & Wood Mallesons SJ Berwin across the UK, Continental Europe and the Middle East for a transitional period. The name of all other parts of the network remains King & Wood Mallesons.
3. Since announcing the combination on 31 July, the firm reported seeing a dramatic increase in clients interested in exploring the potential opportunities of the Asia market, with the network already working on numerous joint matters. Just days after announcing the combination, the network’s Melbourne and London offices led on a public M&A deal in the financial services technology sector. Other highlights include:
(a) Advising an automotive retail and services company on the refinancing of a global banking facility
(b) Advising an Italian private equity house on the reorganisation of one of its investments
(c) Advising a China-based international investment bank on two China real estate funds
(d) Advising a German catalyst manufacturer in a trademark dispute
(e) Advising on a judicial review of a major London exchange.
(f) Advising a British banking company on lending to expatriates
4. The King & Wood Mallesons network is now one of the top 25 law firms in the world, with circa $1 billion revenue and more than 2,700 lawyers including more than 550 partners across 30 locations including China, Hong Kong, Australia, the United Kingdom, continental Europe, the Middle East, Japan and the US.
5. For more information on King & Wood Mallesons please visit our global website at www.kwm.com
Elle LoweSenior Manager, Corporate AffairsT +61 2
M +61 424 168 080